Saturday, December 13, 2008

Update from Greta

Finals are over, so now I can tell the world about some of my news.
I had mentioned that I was nominated for homecoming about a month ago: the next week I was hard at work campaigning to win Homecoming Princess, while organizing SGA's involvement in homecoming. I handed out candy, fliers and movie posters; made announcements in classes; recruited facebook friends; made alliances with other student groups who had people running for homecoming, just no princess; and talked the gamers, the smokers, and the art students into voting for me. Once they all heard I was running against sorority girls, they flocked to the polls to vote for me. Its not that I have anything against sorority girls: but I was willing to use the truth to my advantage. In between campaigning, I ran a carnival booth with pin the beak on the owl; decorated an owl cake; and designed a float for the parade (and dressed up like the mascot to ride on the float). The week culminated in a beautiful dance in a ballroom, where the homecoming court winners were announced. I was the runner up to the princess!
A few weeks ago, I was chosen, along with 58 other students, to be inducted into another honor society: Who's Who Among American Colleges and Universities. My university has over twenty thousand students enrolled. Visiting family got to come to the ceremony with me; I had the largest cheering section there! The president of the University gave a speech and then we filed past to receive a framed certificate. Much picture-taking ensued.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been dying to hear about the homecoming thing. Congratulations! I'm so proud of you and the woman you've become.