Sunday, December 18, 2011

Busy Day at Church

We woke up today knowing that our day would be very full.

Today was the inauguration of the "new room" at church, the room to yet be properly named, the room some are calling the overflow room. (That sounds so much like leftovers or something unwanted. Surely we can think of a better name than that!)
Ready for worship today

I worked 30 hours this past Monday to Thursday, helping to get the room ready for worship today. Others put in many more hours too. We started with a bare room, then built some wall extensions, patched and painted, then painted some more (that seems to sum up my life this year). I sanded the water-damaged ceiling, helped hang lights, I ironed 18 curtains and hemmed 10 of them; I helped hang curtain rods and I even helped hang the TV's. Then I "built" shrubs from greens and added Christmas decorations.
In process: the painting is finished and the carpet is being installed

So this morning I felt responsible to make sure all the details were in order in the new room. I am also the unofficial candle-lighter in the sanctuary for the Christmas season, and that takes a bit of time to complete. I also rounded up help to move the fake trees from downstairs to the "new room". That was all before church began.

After church, we stayed to help set up for a Christmas dinner in the gym this evening. I was put in charge of setting and decorating the tables. We had 32(!) tables filling the gym. All the decorations coordinated; they did not match. We used what we had, and we used up almost all the remaining bits and pieces of Christmas decor the church owns.
The starting point for the centerpieces was a tall glass candleholder and greens or florals in sprays coming off the center candle. Below are a few of the pieces we put together.

Everything was stored in large bins in the small closet off the sanctuary. We trollied the bins downstairs to the gym after church, built the centerpieces, then tore the florals apart again after the dinner and returned the pieces to the bins. I got help to trolly the bins back to the closet off the sanctuary. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it.

We arrived home ready to put our feet up!

No comments: