Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bithdays Celebrated at IKEA?

We celebrated the August birthdays in the IKEA restaurant this year. Isn't that an odd thing to do?
As it turns out, it wasn't really an odd thing: IKEA was having their annual all-you-can-eat Crayfish Festival last Friday. After consulting all the birthday people, we bought tickets all around and headed downtown. Greta and I went a bit early so I could snag a long table and set it up to look more festive than standard formica.
IKEA had kindly installed a row of artificial trees for the event, and our table was adjacent to them. It gave a nice backdrop for all the birthday photos.

Patrick entertains us with peek-a-boo while we wait for everyone to arrive.

Besides HEAPS of crayfish, the menu consisted of shrimp, smoked salmon, meatballs and gravy, boiled potatoes, lingonberries, mashed potatoes, salads, cheeses, breads, and assorted mini pastries.
HEAPS of crayfish, although I preferred the shrimp and meatballs.

Greta cozies up to a crayfish.

Patrick is tickled with a crayfish.

We created a tower of birthday treats in lieu of birthday cake. Since flames are not allowed in IKEA, I bought flameless tea lights to stand in for birthday candles.

Luke couldn't figure out how they "blew out" the birthday candles; he tried and tried to get the light to turn off!

Jared is trying to open a birthday gift.

Greta was thrilled to fianally get the white comforter on their wedding registry.

Heather actually knew ahead of time what this gift was: vintage dessert sets in "her" pattern.

Three wonderful kids whom we love VERY much!

3 comments:

big sis said...

It's fun to see your family having so much fun. Happy Birthday all you August people.

Carol Noren Johnson said...

What a great idea. You brought your own table decorations and didn't have to cook!

Ann came for my birthday and went with Herb, Jim and Lana and I to Ikea in Tampa for lunch. Then we went to Channelside in Tampa, a movie and back our way for dinner at Smokey Bones. So honored that she drove from AL for my birthday. Keith went golfing that weekend.

Hugs,
Carol

gaToRbYte said...

It was truly a blast! Your family never ceases to amaze me! When Chuck called and invited me to Ikea to celebrate, my next thoughts came before his next words. Ikea? Dinner? To celebrate the August birhdays? I've never been there, but I think it's like a super department store. I think? Isn't it? I had a great time and am delighted to be a part of your clan.