Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Studio Visit

Today, instead of welding, my professor had us come visit him at his studio so that we could see what a real welding shop looks like. Professor Odeleye is not just a welder however, he also works in wood. And after seeing the beautiful things he has turned on a lathe, and learning that KSU also has one, I reeeeeeeally want to learn to use a lathe. As in, I'd be willing to go buy one and tinker with it. But, considering that Mom would not like wood shavings in my room (and the termites would) and that to fit a lathe in my room would mean either sleeping under it or on top of it, such a possibility is not happening soon. Thus, I will resort to bugging Professor O until he teaches me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought a lathe would be a blast. Gramps has one incorporated into his Shopsmith and Chris has one in his workshop, I think, but I never got mine. First we moved too much, then I got too busy with other projects, and finally I decided I had enough projects and couldn't do justice to another. I'm rooting for you to get your lathe. Karen

Anonymous said...

Ok, until you have an environment suitable to installing your own lathe (good call on not putting one in your room), go ahead and BUG your professor. After all, you ARE paying his/her salary either directly or indirectly. Either way, at least you will get time on the beast.
My friend, I think you have talent beyond what ANYone who knows you knows you have, family excluded of course because some of them may be a tad biased.

All I am saying to you, as my friend and fellow MULTI-MEDIA artist is, I DO like your work very much. You are SO very talented, in EVERY area that I have seen you participate.

PERSUE YOUR DREAMS.

AND...

Make SURE yowear your welding helmet. ;^)