Saturday, January 6, 2007

Dürer and Revelation

I'm teaching a series on Revelation Sunday mornings after the first church service. Along the way of teaching, I'm discovering the series of the Apocalypse by Albrecht Dürer. Dürer did a series of 16 woodcuts on Revelation related themes. You can find images of these woodcuts at Connecticut College's Website.


Albrecht Dürer (May 21, 1471 - April 6, 1528) was a contemporary of Martin Luther (November 10, 1483 - February 18, 1546) and seemed to have some sympathy with Luther's movement. But Dürer died before Luther's movement was banished from the Roman Catholic Church. Whether Dürer would have been a Protestant Reformer is any one's guess.


In any case, I am having fun trying to insert classic artwork into my class notes in the Revelation class blog. I'm having a great time studying Revelation and creating notes. I've got at least six commentaries plus two sets of audio lectures from seminary professors on Revelation. Revelation was one of those mysterious books to me. I didn't know what to make of it. I was intimidated by it, and by people who read it a lot. Over the last few years I have found discovered the book is not as mysterious as I once thought it to be (not that it's not mysterious). I don't follow the currently popular writers and teachers on Revelation, but rather an old historical approach to the book that was popular for well over a thousand years that really makes a lot of sense to me.


The biggest challenge in teaching the class is keeping people awake and interested. I have 12 weeks to cover the entire book in a one-hour and fifteen minute class times -- and I use every second I can get.


Oops, I see that you're falling asleep reading this. I'll leave with a bang!


No comments: