Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Internet Christmas Carols

Okay, I love Christmas music. We have lots of CD's with great Christmas music. But I've heard them scores, if not hundreds of times. While they're great, I'd like to hear it a little differently. O Holy Night sung by Pavarotti is great, but not if I've heard it 150 times. In the past I'd go buy a new Christmas CD. But I'm getting to be a tightwad. I go to the local public library to get movies. I can't stand buying CD's unless I've heard them once, completely through, and know that I like it.

Well, the Internet should come to the rescue. I googled "internet radio christmas" and got a lot of URLs. Lots and lots of choices, this looks promising! I see country Christmas. Yuk! I'll bypass that! I see traditional Christmas. Okay, that looks promising. I click on that and get "Jingle Bell Rock." Traditional? I suppose for many of us aging Baby Boomers that's traditional. I look for more, I see classical Christmas. Now that's more like it. I click on that and I get "White Christmas" sung by Bing Crosby. No, that's not what I wanted. I want real classical Christmas. I find another link, click on that. It's Bing Crosby again. I do another google search on Christmas carols internet radio. More URLs, I click on a broadband Christmas link, but soon discover to listen I need to pay for a subscription. I click on another, classical Christmas, and it's Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas". Arrgg!

Then Greta enters the room. I tell her of my frustration. "Oh, go to Pandora." she says. I like to think of myself as an Internet savvy kind of guy, but I never heard of Pandora. "What's that?" I ask. Both David and Greta are incredulous, "You haven't heard of Pandora?" Well, I once again am getting an education on the Internet from my children. Greta told me about Pandora (http://www.pandora.com/). It asks you about the music you like. I put in, "O Holy Night Pavarotti." It gave me a list of possible music, I picked one that looked good, and it picked exactly the Christmas music I wanted. No Jingle Bell Rock, no Bing Crosby. Hurray!

1 comment:

Heather said...

hehe, they learned about Pandora from me, and I learned about it from Jared.