Thursday, December 14, 2006

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

Last day of classes was yesterday. It was rather anti-climatic. I had spent three months with the same twenty-one people, but after our final, everyone stood in a group discussing the test, then started drifting away. It felt like any other day. There were very few goodbyes. Since we are all art majors, I will be seeing them again next semester: we have one class together again. It still feels surreal, though. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that I have no school until January 5th.

On a happy note, I got an A on a project I was expecting to not do very well on. For 2-D, our final project was to create an art piece dealing with a social issue. It had to include information, a website, and a tangible object for the viewer to take, with the website attached to it. I chose selective abortion, the practise of killing children based solely on gender. It is widely known that this is practised in China and India, but most people do not know that it happens here. My take-aways were pacifiers I painted black with red ribbons that had the websites written on them. My professor, though pro-choice, really liked my piece. The problem, however, is that I work too lightly. I had painted Chinese characters on it, but from several feet back, the characters were hard to see. A problem like that could have brought my grade down a letter or two. My professor was gracious enough to let me paint them thicker while everyone else was giving their presentation. The result: a 90 from a professor notorious for hard grading.

No comments: