Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My New Job

My "Office"

I'm the third family member to get a new job recently: I started in March. I'm working about five hours a week at church, as assistant to the Childrens' Ministries director. My responsibilities are varied, but first the backstory.

Four years ago, our church started a new Sunday School program for Pre-K through grade 5. It takes hours of prep for our 100 students; too much work to expect volunteer teachers to accomplish during the week, and then teach their class on Sunday morning. Our director wisely asked a team of ladies to stay late on Sunday afternoons to help do the preps for the following Sunday. I am part of that team. As time went on, we saw that there was still a lot of work to be done (some weeks needing more time than others), so two years ago I volunteered to get a headstart on it and work during the second hour of church in preliminary preps. Then in March I was hired to do even more of the work.

Now, my duties for the paid portion of my work include:
  • Make photocopies of worksheets, memory verses, teaching aids, and craft projects
  • Laminate, cut apart, and punch memory verse cards
  • Make sample crafts so teachers know how they are to go together
  • Color in some of the b/w photocopies to add a little color to hold interest
  • Measure and cut yarn or string for crafts (and other time-consuming preps)
  • Cut out crafts projects for the youngest children
  • Shop for elements needed for crafts
  • Hunt up props for the Bible stories
  • Keep the colored pencils sharpened
  • Keep the tape dispensers filled
  • Redo the file system in my spare time
  • Make new file folders
  • Refile unused supplies for the next go-round
  • Process all unsolicited donations: decide if we want it then file it, or dispose of it
  • Keep the resource room clean and orderly
For the Easter season, I have a few added responsibilities:
  • Bake 14 dozen palm branch cookies
  • Design a paper lamb centerpiece for children to recreate
  • Solicit free paint stirrers from Home Depot
  • Make a "palm branch" sample craft for children to copy
  • Find a source for inexpensive hot cross buns without the fruit
There is probably more too, but I can't think of it right now.

It's a fun job that I enjoy. I like the varied activities I do, and I like the opportunity to use my creativity. I also like to be able to clean out and purge!

1 comment:

Carol Noren Johnson said...

What is the curriculum that you are using?

Congratulations on this creative job, by the way. What a wonderful way for you to serve your church also.

Carol