Monday, April 13, 2009

Where I'm From

I found an interesting "poem" template on another blog (can't remember quite where at the moment). I gave it a try and it was lots of fun to write, but I hesitated for a week or so to publish it here. Disclaimer: I am not a "real" poet, or even a "real" writer for that matter.

Where I’m From

I am from Melmac dishes and the big box of 64 Crayolas,
From the Singer Featherweight and McCalls patterns;
Blue station wagons and a yellow split-level house.
I am from Danish Modern and sliding glass doors, from
ice plant-covered slopes and apricot trees perfect for climbing.

I am from Advent calendars and summer days on the beach.
I am from sharp tongues and curly hair and a penny saved;
From Mary Ethel and Mary Angeline,
From the Tallmons and the Aldens and the Winslows.

I am from lakeside campgrounds and water skiing every summer;
From Saturday morning chores and
Too-tight school shoes at Gallencamp’s.
I am from Dad’s one-line songs;
From look-at-me-when-I’m-talking-to-you and stop-crying-or-I’ll-give-you-something-to-really-cry-about.

I am from Jesus loves me and the old rugged cross,
From Sunday School quarterlies and Salvation Army officers.
I am from starched petticoats under puffy dresses;
From Sunday evening sings and Saturday evening choir practice.

I am from the Golden State and Santa Ana winds, the Hill with ocean views,
From the best brownies in the world;
From taco casserole and homemade bread,
And apricots dried in the sun.

I am from proud pioneers and visionaries who saw possibilities,
Nurserymen; pineapple growers;
English kings and Methodist circuit riders;
From plumbers and teachers and builders
and wagon trains across the prairie.

I am from black paper scrapbooks
And slide shows at family gatherings;
From Grandma’s knitted afghans and Moremama’s colored glass displayed in the window,
I am from red felt Christmas stockings tucked safely in Mom’s cedar chest;
From use it up and wear it out, from make it do or do without.

4 comments:

Big sis said...

I'm impressed! Even if it was just a template, it flows as a poem should. But I don't think the US govt will want to buy your home as a shrine.

Adie said...

Good thing! I want to keep living here.

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Love the visual memories you created with this poem. Shall we say the vintage memories?!

Dad said...

For me, this poem is a tear jerker. Thanks for the memories