Sunday, July 1, 2007

Chivalry Isn't Dead

I saw a wonderful example of courteous behavior at church this morning. A man, following his wife by a distance, ran to reach the door before she did so that he could open the door for her. Several of us ladies inside the building watched it happen and we all commented on it.

I was glad to see it. So often, men walk through a door and let it slam behind them, disregarding anyone who might be following. Or they dash ahead of their wife, only to let her struggle with the door alone.

I remember being on the receiving end of this one time in particular. I was pushing a double stroller with two tiny children into the mall. There were two sets of heavy glass doors that I had to prop open with one leg, then wrestle the stroller through. Two well-dressed men on their lunch hour approached, and I foolishly assumed that one of them would hold at least one of the doors for me. But nooooo, they grabbed the door, plowed through, and let it slam back on me. "Thank you very much", I fumed, "I LOVE glass door bruises."

Anyway, kudos to Russ for his chivalry!

1 comment:

DataLore said...

This Russ fellow sounds like a pretty good guy ;->