Friday, June 29, 2007

Summer Garden

I'm not usually very successful with growing vegetables in our yard, but so far this summer, things are going well. I changed the location this year to the steep back hill. It's a challenge to care for them ~ I have to be a mountain goat and try to keep my balance as I weed and water. Several times I've nearly pitched backward into the gardenias below!

Here is our first crookneck squash:

And one tomato plant of our twelve. This is "early girl", which I planted thinking we would have some tomatoes early. Ha! The first to ripen were "Rutgers Heirloom".


We also have one watermelon plant which I don't have a photo of. I don't really expect it to produce anything because we're not deep enough in the south. But I thought I'd see what happens.

The last of our gardenias until fall. They bloomed for about five weeks this year. Now it's time to prune them.

1 comment: