Thursday, December 7, 2006

Costuming

I am interseted in working in costume design when I graduate, so when I was asked to be in charge of the costumes for our youth group's Christmas play this year, I eagarly took the job. One of my friends was directing The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, and the cast came from our youth group. Most of the costuming is simple; the cast wears Chistmas-y/wintery clothing, so I just had to let the actors know what types of clothes to look for, and what colors were acceptable. They looked in their closets and thrift stores for what I specified, then they brought the clthes to me so I could approve them. I organized all the costumes, bought a couple of bathrobes and shirts, and made the angel and Mary costumes from bedsheets.

During the performance, I directed the dressing rooms: making sure the costuming, makeup, and hair ran smoothly, that the first people on stage were ready first, and also helped with the makeup. Backstage, I had to dress nine angels, three wisemen, five shepherds, and Mary and Joseph in three minutes. Though it was hectic, I know this is something I could do.

No comments: